Saturday, May 30, 2009

Second Best

“This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by strength or by might, but by My Spirit,’ says the Lord of Hosts.

Zech 4:6 (HCSB)

Do you really want to settle for second best? Have you worked to make yourself almost the best you can be? No, me neither. I want to be the best that I can be. I want to live my life for the Lord in the best possible manner. I don't want to look back at my life and say, "awesome! I was almost the best God wanted me to be." A word came to Zerubbabel. It is an important word not just for him but also for every Christ follower. It is not by your strength or by your might but it is by God's Spirit.

Here's where we tend to get off track. We are working really hard to be the best that we can be. The problem is that if it is in our strength and might we are settling for second best. If we want to be the best we can be then we must allow God's Spirit to do His work in us. We can try to be faithful, righteous and holy but if it is in our strength we will never be what God wants us to be. But if we surrender ourselves to Him and the work of the Holy Spirit, God will do a work that cannot be duplicated or bettered.

So stop trying so hard and just surrender to the Holy Spirit's work. God doesn't really want your best try. He wants your obedient surrender.

No comments: