Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Pity Party

So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah, saying, “May the gods punish me and do so severely if I don’t make your life like the life of one of them by this time tomorrow!”3 Then Elijah became afraid and immediately ran for his life. When he came to Beer-sheba that belonged to Judah, he left his servant there, 4 but he went on a day’s journey into the wilderness. He sat down under a broom tree and prayed that he might die. He said, “[I have had] enough! Lord, take my life, for I’m no better than my fathers.”

1 Kings 19:2-4 (HCSB)

Elijah has a moment of weakness. Are you surprised? Did you think that only happens to you? You do have pity parties from time to time, don't you? I know I do. In my humanness I forget that I am a Christ Follower and I feel sorry for myself.

Elijah is threatened. He allows his fear to get the better of him. And then despair sinks into him. Despair can be the most debilitating emotion that we have. Despair is when are fears seem to overwhelm us to the point we just can't function and we don't really care.

Don't let that happen to you! When you start to throw your own pity party decide you just won't cut the cake. Don't send out any invitations. Promptly cancel the party. Fear and despair are real but you must choose not to participate. We must turn to God and seek His refuge, His strength, and His comfort.

He is there and He will help you. Cry out to Him!

No comments: