Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Anger

My dearly loved brothers, understand this: everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, 20 for man’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness.

James 1:19-20 (HCSB)

James tells us to be slow to anger. I was giving that some thought and I have realized that perhaps the easiest emotion to express and perhaps the quickest to come to the surface is anger. I don't consider myself an angry person. I think I am rather easy going and for the most part easy to get along with but as I considered this admonition I realize I get angry a lot. In the car, at my kids, at myself. And then don't even start to talk about politicians! Anyway, I digress.

Anger seems to be something that perhaps we need to think more about dealing with. James tells us that man's anger does not accomplish God's righteousness. Rarely, if ever have I felt my spirituality, my righteousness has grown because of that emotion anger.

Isn't it the subtle things in life that trip us up? As a Christ follower I want to live a righteous life. I need to check my anger. What about you?

No comments: