Monday, July 21, 2008

My Brothers Keeper

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

Gen 4:8-9 (KJV)

Here is one of the most misquoted verses. I hear people say it all the time, "I am not my brothers keeper." That's probably not a verse we should quote for ourselves. God chastises Cain and basically says, "Oh Yes you are!" We are our brothers keeper and God expects us to care for and to be accountable to each other. We need each other. We need others to care for us. And yes we need someone to hold us accountable. From time to time we need a brother or sister to come along side us and loving challenge us about our walk with the Lord.

I would encourage you to find another Christ Follower who can be an accountability partner and to form a support group for spiritual growth. We should not walk alone!

No comments: