Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Deep Longing

As a deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, God.2 I thirst for God, the living God. When can I come and appear before God?

Psalms 42:1-2 (HCSB)


I live on a farm. My family enjoys living in the country. Our house is surrounded by three important things to a deer; a hiding place, corn and a creek. The creek winds its way around our farm and the deer seem to love being there. They need a hiding place and they really seem to love to eat the corn. But the most important provision on our little haven is the water. Water is necessary to live but it is also a provision of peace and security.

The deer need that water. Now I won't presume to be able to read the hearts of our white tailed friends but I think they long for and thirst for that water. And not just on a hot day. Water is also needed in the cold of winter.

The point is this that they long for the streams of water provided. God has a peace, security and nourishment spiritually that we too need to long for. For us, its not a matter of searching for the spiritual water. We know where to find it. It is simply a need to long for or desire it.

No comments: