Friday, September 5, 2008

Fear Factor: Identity

Therefore, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh so that you may lead My people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.”11 But Moses asked God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I should bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”12 He answered, “I will certainly be with you, and this will be the sign to you that I have sent you: when you bring the people out of Egypt, you will all worship God at this mountain.”

Ex 3:10-12 (HCSB)

What are you afraid of? Lets be honest now, we all have something we are afraid of! I have a strong dislike of Bees and Mice. My wife dreads snakes. Others have a fear to speak in front of people. Here is an important question: will you allow your fear to keep you from God's call in your life? When God called Moses he was afraid. He had several excuses why he could not or would not overcome his fear and fulfill His call.

Moses' first fear factor was identity. Maybe you can relate. Moses said God who am I that I should go back to Pharaoh and demand that you people be set free. In all reality who else should go. Think about Moses. He had been adopted by Pharaoh, educated in the best Egyptian schools. He knew the language, the culture and the individuals in the court. Moses didn't see how God had prepared him for this challenge all he could see were his shortcomings and a misconception of who he was: an unimportant sheep herder.

I love how God responds to his fear. He doesn't remind him that he is qualified although he was. He didn't point out that God had prepared him for the challenge and He did. God didn't remind him of that original burden for his people that he had. God says, "certainly I will be with you."

You know that really should settle the fear problem. God is with you! What more do you need Moses? Oh but wait, we too allow fear to keep us from obedience. We too face an identity crisis when God calls us out. And God's response to us is the same as that of Moses, "I certainly will be with you."

Well, what more do we need?

No comments: