Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fear Factor: Authority

Then Moses asked God, “If I go to the Israelites and say to them: The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they ask me, ‘What is His name?’ what should I tell them?”14 God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.”

Ex 3:13-14 (HCSB)

Moses was afraid to follow God's call. Sometimes we face the same kind of fears. Moses had reasons (excuses) for his fear. As well we may have really good reasons why we are afraid to follow his calling in our life.

The first reason for Moses fear was identity. The second is authority. Moses fear was that the people would not believe that God had talked with him or had sent him to them. The fear that others will not recognize our call or the authority God has given us to pursue His call may be holding us back. It did Moses. But notice what God says, "Tell them, "I AM has sent you."

Moses feared that he did not have the authority to lead. You and I may also experience this fear. But I find encouragement in what Dr. James Dobson said, "You and God are a majority!"

Don't allow the fear of authority hold you back from obedience.

No comments: