Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What we Should learn in Grief

Then Job answered the LORD and said, 2 "I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.

3 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?'
"Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know."

4 'Hear, now, and I will speak;
I will ask You, and You instruct me.'
5 "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
6 Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes."
Job 42:1-6 (NASB95)

Have you ever truely been grief stricken?  When it seems that everything has gone against you, have you ever cried out to God?  Maybe accused Him?  Maybe asked, "Why Lord?"  When we are in the midst of grief, and at some point all of us will be, what should we learn?

Job points out several lessons we should learn.
  1. God can do all things and there is nothing we can do to stop His plans and purposes.  In situations of grief it is obvious that these are things happening to us that we really didn't ask for and probably don't want.  But trust Him, He does have a plan. 
  2. We may never understand His plans and purposes.  But because He is God we recognize that His ways are higher and greater and we can only trust Him.
  3. We should just be quiet and let God teach us what we need to learn.  I don't know about you but sometimes I just can't be quiet and let God speak.  Grief has a way of getting our attention.
  4. It is in grief that we really get to know God intimately.  We may know of Him but in grief as He comes to comfort and care for us we know Him at a deeper level than ever before.
  5. We should humble ourselves and repent of our attitudes and actions.
If you are experiencing grief, allow God's Spirit to minister to you and teach you.  Yes it is a difficult time but as Pastor Rick Warren is known to say, "God doesn't waste any of our experiences."

No comments: