Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fear of Kingdom work

So I was afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Look, you have what is yours.’26 “But his master replied to him, ‘You evil, lazy  slave! If you knew that I reap where I haven’t sown and gather where I haven’t scattered, 27 then you should have deposited my money with the bankers. And when I returned I would have received my money back with interest.
Matt 25:25-27 (HCSB)

This is an interesting parable (Matthew 25.14-30).  The most striking thought came to me from the verses above.  Here is a slave, a supposed servant who was afraid.  However, the master did not acknowledge the problem as fear but rather a problem of evil and laziness.  I really thought about that.  For many Christ followers as we hear the call to Kingdom work shrink back and say I just can't!  I'm afraid!  But I wonder if Jesus doesn't see laziness rather than fear.
I'm not sure that we can really claim fear as a Christ follower.  I'm not suggesting we don't face scary circumstances in serving Christ.  But if we believe His promises and His Word, is there really anything to fear?  Is there ever a legitimate fear to hinder us from serving Christ?  There may be fear but knowing what we know, and serving whom we serve does that fear excuse us or are we just unwilling?  

Be careful that we do not excuse ourselves from true service expecting the master to buy our excuse!

No comments: