Thursday, December 10, 2009

Contnement

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Phil 4:11-13 (NASB95)

Most of us are familiar with verse 13.  In fact many of us have quoted it, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  But have we ever stopped to look at its context.  Its really not a verse of the overcomer but of the overcomed.  Paul says I can live in humble means, in every circumstance, I can go without, I can be hungy and suffer need. . .  WHOA!  Paul what are talking about?  He is talking about contentment.  We expect God to in the end come through with all the good stuff.  But he doesn't always do that.  Sometimes we suffer, sometimes his follower go hungry, we experience trying things.

Can we be content in every situation?  That's where verse 13 comes in.  We can, if we are willing to submit to His will even if it means difficulty and pain.  We can be content.  We can do all things because He will strengthen us to do it.

Remember it is a growing process.  Learn to be content!

No comments: