Thursday, April 9, 2009

Depressed?

Why am I so depressed?

Why this turmoil within me?

Put your hope in God, for I will still praise Him,

my Savior and my God.


Psalms 43:5 (HCSB)

This is an important word for the Christ Follower. I have met many who beat themselves up because sometime we get depressed. Understand that even King David, a man after God's own heart sometimes was depressed. We live in a fallen and depraved World and frankly that can be a little discouraging at times.
David asks himself why am I depressed? Why is this turmoil within me? He really never finds an answer. At least he doesn't share it in Psalm 43. But he does find a solution. Put your hope in God and praise Him.
I think there is an important principle here for the Christ follower. Hope and praise. Hope is not a might happen or wishful thinking. It is a certainty that we serve a great and powerful God who loves us very much. He never leaves us and He never forsakes us. So praise Him. Nothing will draw us out of depression faster than praising God. If we spend a little time reflecting on how great God is and all He has given us rather than our self pity and complaints, we might find the clouds of depression and discouragement dissipating.
So if you are depressed today don't beat yourself up and make yourself more discouraged. Hope and praise our awesome God!

No comments: