Thursday, October 16, 2008

Discipline: proof of connectedness to Christ

As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be committed and repent.

Rev 3:19 (HCSB)

Growing up I never liked to be disciplined. I would suspect that is the same for you. Truth be told we don't like it as adults either. Now one likes to be corrected or disciplined but it is necessary. As a child we needed our parents discipline. As a Christ follower we need God's discipline. In fact we should understand it as proof of our connectedness to Christ. Jesus said, "If I love you i will rebuke and discipline you." This is "as needed" of course and if you are like me it is needed more often than I care to admit.

His admonition to us is when He rebukes and disciplines us be committed to Him and our relationship with Him to repent. Remember that repent means to turn around and go in the other direction.

This is a good word for us and it just may be we need to be reminded today that Jesus loves us and we need to be committed to becoming all that He wants us to be. For His glory and our best!

No comments: