Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Not for faint of heart

 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.
2 Tim 4:6-8 (NASB95)

Being a Christ follower is not for the faint of heart.  Paul doesn't beat around the bush with Timothy.  He reminds him that serving the King is going to require some difficult choices, circumstances and consequences.  Paul reminds us that serving means we must sacrifice ourselves willingly.  That goes against the grain for us.  We often seek comfort rather than sacrifice.

There is also required the need to get into the struggle for the Kingdom.  Kingdom living is equated to a fight or wrestling match.  Paul also describes it as running a marathon that requires endurance to finish the race no matter how much it hurts.

Yes being a Christ follower requires a commitment in which we give all but also remember the rewards.  Eternity with Him, a Crown of Righteousness and of course a, "well done, good and faithful servant."  Keep striving today in your commitment to following King Jesus!

No comments: